Monday 18 January 2010

Excercise 3: Focus at Different Apertures

The course materials said prints are needed for this exercise to show the distance or limits of the sharp focus.   I chose the same subject as in Exercise 2 to see if having more of the subject in focus would appeal to me better.

1. point of focus is top part of neck 125mm, f/2.5, 1/500, 125mm




2.  125mm, f/11, 1/20




3. 125mm, f/22, 1/8

I chose the highest ISO setting on my camera which was 1600 as it was late afternoon and the light was fading fast.  I also did not have a cable release to try and avoid camera shake. On hindsight I could have released the shutter button via the self timer method. F/2.5 is the widest opening of this lens, and f/22 it's smallest.  I also tried to maintain the correct exposure for these shots but they all seem to have slightly different white balance.  It could be from the changing light (setting sun) although I'm not very sure.  I think there is a colour section in the course materials so maybe it'll all become clear to be at that point.

I think I do need to print these out.  On viewing on the web/computer, I think I prefer number 2 as most of the zebra is in focus but the light and backgound is still pleasing.  no3 appears darker and too harsh to me. But again viewing these two magnified, they both do not appear tack sharp at the tip of the tail.  I am wondering if this is due to camera shake particularly with no 3's very slow shutter speed.

Edited to add:
Ok, I just had a thought,  if I just increased the brightness levels on the third picture, it might match the others better?  I need to give that a try later!

No comments:

Post a Comment